Free shoutbox @ ShoutMix
- I can't think of any song to play -
Monday, February 25
::From the West Side in Olde Country Australia::

(L-R) John, Uncle Francis, Mum and Dad


(L-R) Megan, Me, Aunchisa (Cheesy)

(L-R) Justin (brother), Megan (sister), Me

(L-R) Me, Megan (sister),Mum, Aunty (friend's mum)

(L-R) Chengy, Me, Megan (sister),Mum, Aunty (Friend's Mum)

The above are some pictures of life in Perth@ friend's house gathering (17th Feb)

I have been in deep thought lately, about my decision to come to Australia and whether it serves me for the better. Australia to me seems so normal, but that may be due to my frequent flights here previously. People in the church I go to here ( New Life City Church- NLCC) repeatedly ask how do I feel coming here after spending 18 or so odd years in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. My reply is the city is the same, I know my way around Perth and its surroundings. For Easter Holidays ( roughly which are around a week), I would be either attending Youth Camp with church or go to country WA to Esperance to experience farm life on my grand-aunt's farm. My parents are going back to KL after a month or so in Australia and I will miss their presence for the next 1 and half months to 2 months.

Just yesterday, I went to a seaside town of Fremantle (or Freo) as it is known, to reflect and eat the local delicacy, fish and chips by the harbour. It was my walks by the beach with a beautiful sunset that I realised that Murdoch University, Perth was the place for me. My parents, obviously wanted me to go in to UWA, being that my brother was doing Medicine in that particular university. Initially, I wanted to pursue Law on its own, but after recieving an option to pursue a double degree ( or double major) as it is known here, I thought to myself, why not? It fell into place being that Murdoch offered what I wanted and UWA did not. Furthermore, as like any student, the mentality as Melbourne was the place to go if you want to pursue your studies. In the end, it all boils down to what you want to do in life and how you are going to get there.

Life as a university student is no joke, it is all hard work and that desire to succeed in life that would propel you far. In Law, I have learnt that without consistent study and a good support group that you may not be able to pass as it is a subjective field. On the other hand, with Mass Communications, I have learnt that, practical work is very much a part of daily living. Here is so unlike Taylor's where you receive face-to- face attention literally daily on a fixed schedule. In university, there are around 400 plus students in one lecture and it is up to you to attend tutorials to ensure that you get the best possible out of your units and subjects. No one forces you to attend lectures or tutorials in university, you are thrown out in to a deep ocean where you are forced to swim to ensure survival. It is a competitive field, but education is the absolute key to survive in a working environment. In simpler terms, it is do or die.

Like most of us who are here at the moment, it may seem as a cultural shock. It takes time to get used to your university mates who are mostly guai-lo, who have different and diverse backgrounds. Australians in general, are very open and they love to chat. Some of us Asians, are reserved and like to keep some things private to ourselves. I have made many friends of different backgrounds, but it is good mix of both. Thankfully, the people in church make it easier to adjust. I have renewed friendships with a few friends I have here, and I am beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel. This would become home for the next 10 months or so, and I have to do all to make sure that this decision would not become one in vain but a totally exhilarating and enriching experience as I would be doing the same thing for the next 5 years, by the grace of God.

Labels:


[ 0 ] comment(s)